The Martian - Andy Weir

I quite enjoy science-fiction novels and movies. My choice of career is closely linked. I feel like science-fiction transports me into a world of imagination, wonder, miracles and maybe even into a possible future. 
Who knows, maybe one day robots will have an uprising against human (i, ROBOT). 
Image result for irobot
Maybe one day we will be able to open a portal, take a step and find ourselves on different planets (George’s Cosmic Treasure Hunt).
Image result for georges cosmic adventure
Maybe one day we will discover that a 5th Dimension actually exists (Interstellar). 
Image result for interstellar 5th dimension scene
Maybe, just maybe, we will meet a different species of intelligent life (One of Stephen Hawking’s various theories).

You might have noticed how I drifted away from the topic. The only excuse I have is that I find this subject immensely fascinating.

Image result for the martianNow, back to the book, if I had to describe it in one word, it would be ‘genius’. You can tell by each and every action that Mark Watney performed; Andy Weir had done a great deal of research. People might have thought that we can live on Mars, but their hopes were probably diminished after finding out about the temperature, atmospheric pressure and sandstorms. I must say, he proved us wrong. I'm not the fastest at reading books, but I'm pretty fast. Somehow, it took me longer to read this book than I usually take for a book for its size. I think this is because I was trying to process the boatload of information at once. There were many technical terms, confusing processes and sudden advancements in plans. I learnt a great deal through this book. Although I may never implement this knowledge, it still seems worthwhile to have gained it. If anything, this book has increased my fascination towards the subject.

This novel has a captivating story line since you want to know what new plans Watney has come up with as well as the prodigies back at NASA; but at the same time, you feel like pulling your hair out because you don’t know what to expect. This book is a healthy combination of both. I did not watch the movie because I wanted to write an unbiased review, but I will soon. I can only hope for my inner peace that it is like the book.

 I recommend this book to you, whoever you may be. Young or old, seeking thrill or not seeking thrill. This is one of those books that you cannot go without reading at least once in your life time. Once you do, you will be glad