Julius Caesar - William Shakespeare

My interest in reading the play 'Julius Caesar' sparked when my English teacher read out an act. Intrigued by the story and wanting to learn more, I decided to give Shakespeare a try.

In the beginning, I found understanding Archaic English challenging, however my teacher had already set the base so the more I read, the easier it was for me to follow. I am the last person to be conventional. I don't think twice before voicing that I dislike something that most people like. In fact, I try to be that way. Until I read his play, I was sure that Shakespeare is an extremely over rated writer, but people in this case are not wrong. His writing is so captivating that I genuinely found it hard to stop reading. The intense development of characters really puts modern authors to shame. Every line has a deeper, more profound meaning etched behind it. His intense understanding of the human mind and emotions did not once cease to fascinate me. I learnt to read in between lines and when I understood the underlying meaning, my mind was genuinely blown.

I would have to say that dialogue wise, my favourite character in this play is Julius Caesar; solely because of how he portrays himself. He puts himself up on a higher pedestal, and rightfully so. His dialogues are extremely powerful and are the kind that I suggest you say yourself when you're down in the dumps or generally require a little self love. Slow claps in my mind every time I read one. One of my favourite quotes is:

"danger knows full well
That Caesar is more dangerous than he:
We are two lions litter'd in one day,
And I the elder and more terrible;"

Another character I grew fond of is Caesar's most loyal friend, Mark Antony. His character is absolutely remarkable. In fear of revealing too much, all I will say is he has a way with words and is clever enough to use it and the situation to his advantage.

Having just completed the play, I am buzzing with excitement at the discovery of an author who, and bear with me for being so cliché, might just become my favourite.

Presently, I am reading Macbeth and will soon return with a review.