Behind Her Eyes - Sarah Pinborough


This is a tale of love. Dark, twisted love. Its power, its obsessive nature, its passion. "The course of true love never did run smooth" is truly embodied in this book. This catastrophic, yet thrilling story is a concoction of morbid themes such as fury, resentment, emotional violation, hostility, scepticism, victimisation, courage, manipulation, illusion and more. This book keeps you on edge, makes you crave for more.

This story follows a handsome psychiatrist- David and his beautiful wife- Adele, a seemingly perfect couple. It's only when Louise- David's secretary gets entwined in his life and Adele's and her's secret friendship that she realises that their marriage is not normal. The story also explores the concept of out of body experiences. In conversation, when Louise mentions her night terrors, Adele reveals that she suffered with them until she read a book that David bought for her as a surprise when she was 15. Slowly but surely Louise finds out that the book is not what she expected and what Adele claimed it to be. Reading the information, and following the instructions turns out to be a very, very bad decision. Another book Adele lent to Louise was a dairy. Her bestfriend, Rob's diary. Rob and Adele met at a psychiatric institution when they were around 16-17. She was there because of post traumatic stress disorder, and he because of drug addiction. After the two best friends were released, they lost touch for a while. However, Rob remebered Adele inviting him to stay over at her and David's house whenever he liked. He decided to take up the offer, but soon after he goes missing. The fact that his family did not care about him caused this incident to go unnoticed... until Louisd. Follow Louise, her life, her problems, through uncovering the "truth". There is one person pulling all the strings, but who is it and why? Who is the murderous psychopath?

Book endings are always predictable. I always thought so and I'm sure you do too. I thought I knew where the story was heading until the last three chapters. Then, I didn't know what hit me and before I could recover, yet another day cruel twist was thrown my way. I was barely able to contain my anguish.

I write this, after a good hour to process my emotions, and come to realise that this book has appealed to my sadistic side. My initial response has now turned into awe. Any book that can make a reader feel this way, is a masterpiece. There's no going back after you start reading the book, I deliver this warning with a quote from one of my favourite shows, "You will meet an end so cruel, the devil will weep." Beware, reader, you have been warned.